Monday, September 14, 2009

Adventures Buying & Selling Cars in Cambodia.


Nearly two-years ago, when I decided to do some part-time investment work in Cambodia, I needed three things: A beautiful, safe place to live in a good location. A full-time driver. And a good car. Well, I got two out of three right. I love my penthouse apartment. My driver, Sok Phea is great. He has been with me from the start and we enjoy working together.
When it came to buying a used car here I chose a nice Mercedes sedan with great lines and back seat comfort and space. Bad decision on my part. I didn't do my homework and I should have known better. I believed the odometer reading of 75,000. When I started to have expensive problems, a car of this mileage should not have, I went to the rather sad and empty sole Mercedes Authorized Dealer in the Country. They pulled-up the World history of my car. As it turns out, this vehicle was last serviced in France with an odometer reading of 265,000 just before being exported to Cambodia.
As it turns out, only problem cars, mostly from California, arrive to the shores of Cambodia. They usually have one of three elements: Ultra-high mileage, high-impact collision or flood damage. Of the three elements my bad choice was unknown ultra-high mileage.
The blessing of this Mercedes is that for nearly two-years, it took myself and friends on long, multi-day adventures to the far reaches of this small, primitive country successfully.
Once I found the true history of this car, I knew it was time to sell.
And that is exactly what I did.













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Al Amin said...

Selling My 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Pure With Negotiation Well maintain low mileage,Full Options,Gulf Specifications,Accident Free,No Bruises,Very Clean like New.It was bought new and has not been used for long.I want to sell it out,If Interested.

Contact me for more information about the 2012 Land Rover
Email at :j.ray134@yahoo.com