Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cyclo Test Drive

The cyclo (pronounced, 'see-klo') is the least expensive form of transportation in Phnom Penh and a common sight here. As you can see, the cyclo is a hybrid of the Chinese rickshaw that puts the passenger out front and the peddling driver in the rear. Designed for a single fare, having two folks squeezed in, or one on another lap is not uncommon. A trip of perhaps two-miles commands an equivalent of about 35 cents.

In this video short, I am touring around the fellow that runs the 'Cyclo Operators Association'. I am so tall that my knees hit the steering bar if I don't keep my legs wide-open. For whatever reason, the brake for all cyclo's is located behind the drivers seat. A big ring you pull-up on to slow down. In this video, as I am into my turn, I reach back to pull the brake but don't find it with my hand. A fellow sees this and run up behind me in case I get into trouble.

No comments: